Goddess braids can be flirty, sexy, romantic, or even bold – the choice is yours. Though they are most common among ethnic women, they are perfect for anyone, whether you’re looking for a daily style that you can wear for weeks or something special for a night out on the town.
Also, goddess braids updos are similar to cornrows but are thicker and can be less damaging and harsh on your scalp and hair. Whether you have natural hair or extensions, goddess braids styles allow you to be as detailed or simple as you wish and highlight your unique style.
- 1 What Are Goddess Braids?
- 2 How To Make Goddess Braids
- 3 Goddess Braids Hairstyles
- 4 Best Products For Goddess Braids
- 4.1 Keracare Natural Textures Twist and Define Cream
- 4.2 Parnevu T-Tree Braid Spray
- 4.3 OGX Anti-Breakage Serum Nourishing Coconut Milk
- 4.4 Stunning Goddess Locs
- 4.5 Goddess Braid in a High Bun
- 4.6 3 Goddess Braids Updo
- 4.7 Low Bun Goddess Locs
- 4.8 Beautiful Goddess Braids with Jewelry
- 4.9 2 Goddess Braids Styles
- 4.10 Goddess Braids in a Side Ponytail
- 4.11 High Goddess Braids Bun
- 4.12 Elegant Goddess Braids
- 4.13 Large Goddess Braided Crown
- 4.14 Goddess Braid Halo with Bun
- 4.15 Framed Goddess Braids
- 4.16 Mohawk Goddess Braids
- 4.17 Overlapping 4 Goddess Braids
- 4.18 Feed In Braids
- 4.19 Five Part Goddess Braids
- 4.20 Goddess Braids with Jewelry
- 4.21 Upswept Braided Crown
- 4.22 Under Braid Goddess Braids
- 4.23 Curved Braided Hairstyle
- 4.24 Goddess Braid with Micro Braids
- 4.25 Goddess Braid Pigtails
- 4.26 Crisscross Braids
- 5 Colorful Goddess Braids
- 5.1 Two Goddess Braids + Red
- 5.2 Ombre Goddess Braids
- 5.3 Colorful Framing Goddess Braids in a Ponytail
- 5.4 Blonde and Black Goddess Braids
- 5.5 Braids with Colorful Extensions
- 5.6 Rainbow Halo Goddess Braid Updo
- 5.7 Colorful Goddess Braid Updo
- 5.8 Blue Goddess Braid Hairstyle Ideas
- 5.9 Red Goddess Hairstyle
- 5.10 Chunky Side Braid with Red Highlight
- 5.11 Colorful Wrap Around Goddess Braid Crown
- 5.12 3 Goddess Braids Hairstyle
- 5.13 Red Goddess Braids with Curls
- 5.14 Golden Wrap Up Goddess Braid Updo
- 5.15 Purple 2 Goddess Braids
- 5.16 Fuchsia Classic Goddess Braid Updo
- 6 How To Make Your Goddess Braids Last
What Are Goddess Braids?
Goddess braids are much like traditional cornrows in many ways. They sit close to the scalp, and they can be created from your own natural hair or from a combination of your natural hair and extensions. Goddess braids updo styles are larger and thicker than cornrows, which means there are fewer of them. This allows the braids to be designed in any way that best suits your personality and style.
Goddess braids styles can be short or long, symmetrical or asymmetrical, and colored in any way you choose. You might opt for a bold mohawk goddess braid, or you might choose something a little more romantic, like goddess braids in a bun. You can opt for traditional braids or twist them into a classy goddess braids updo, too. Braids can be put into a bun or ponytail, or they can be mixed with traditional cornrows with hints of bright colors from ribbons or extensions.
Gorgeous Long Goddess Braids
You could even opt for 2 goddess braids that meet each other in the middle and become one. You might also choose styles that consist of four goddess braids – two on each side – that meet in pigtails at the nape of your neck. The possibilities are endless.
How To Make Goddess Braids
Creating goddess braids in your hair is much like creating cornrows, but it’s done on a much larger scale. You can always visit a hairdresser or stylist who is experienced in these beautiful braids, but if you want to do it at home, all you need is some time and practice. There are several steps: Start by choosing your style and mapping where the goddess braids will go. and whether you will create a goddess braids ponytail or other updo.
Goddess Braids in a Ponytail
- Throughout the process make sure you are using natural products on your hair, such as those listed below, to help your goddess braids last longer.
- Separate a chunk of hair (or extension) equal to the thickness you want the braid to be and divide that chunk into two sections – one should be twice as thick as the other.
- Loop the thin strand over the thicker strand to make three sections of hair that are about the same thickness, then start braiding as you would a cornrow. If you are using extensions, be sure the extension is placed into the center of the parted hair starting at the hairline to make it look natural.
- Continue braiding the hair back or in the direction you’ve chosen, and if you’re using extensions, continue to add them as evenly as possible throughout the entire braid.
- Once you reach the ends of the hair, clip the fly-away hair, and dip the ends of the braids in hot boiling water to create a seal.
Goddess Braids Hairstyles
Classic Long Goddess Braid Hairstyle
Goddess Halo Braid Style
Goddess Braids High Ponytail
Long Goddess Braids Hairstyle
Goddess Braided Ponytail
4 Goddess Braids in a Bun
4 Goddess Braids in a Low Bun
2 Goddess Braids
4 Goddess Locs
Best Products For Goddess Braids
There are many products out there that are perfect for goddess braids. Before getting started, it’s very important to deep condition your hair with the product of your choice. Then, consider some of the following products:
Keracare Natural Textures Twist and Define Cream
The Keracare Natural Textures Cream product should be used during the braiding process for best results. It gives your hair some grip for easier styling, and once complete, your goddess braids will appear more defined.
- For silky shiny twists and twist outs
- 8 ounce
Parnevu T-Tree Braid Spray
The Parnevu T-Tree Braid Spray contains numerous natural oils – including both tea tree and keratin – that will nourish your dry hair and keep your braids looking healthier for weeks to come. It’s also incredibly affordable, which makes it a favorite among those who love their braided looks.
OGX Anti-Breakage Serum Nourishing Coconut Milk
This product gives hair volume without weighing it down. OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk is great for women with thinner hair who want the appearance of thick, luxurious braids without using extensions. This product is also perfect for keeping fly-away hair tamed and adding definition.
- ANTI-BREAKAGE HAIR SERUM: Our hydrating serum...
- STRENGTHEN & PROTECT: This formula, blended with...
- BEAUTY PURE & SIMPLE: OGX products are inspired by...
Stunning Goddess Locs
Goddess Braid in a High Bun
3 Goddess Braids Updo
Low Bun Goddess Locs
Beautiful Goddess Braids with Jewelry
2 Goddess Braids Styles
Goddess Braids in a Side Ponytail
High Goddess Braids Bun
Elegant Goddess Braids
Large Goddess Braided Crown
Goddess Braid Halo with Bun
Framed Goddess Braids
Mohawk Goddess Braids
Overlapping 4 Goddess Braids
Feed In Braids
Five Part Goddess Braids
Goddess Braids with Jewelry
Upswept Braided Crown
Under Braid Goddess Braids
Curved Braided Hairstyle
Goddess Braid with Micro Braids
Goddess Braid Pigtails
Colorful Goddess Braids
Never be afraid to add a splash of color. Whether you add a center extension highlight, create an ombre color style, or go full color, your goddess braid style will be stunning.
Two Goddess Braids + Red
Ombre Goddess Braids
Colorful Framing Goddess Braids in a Ponytail
Blonde and Black Goddess Braids
Braids with Colorful Extensions
Rainbow Halo Goddess Braid Updo
Colorful Goddess Braid Updo
Blue Goddess Braid Hairstyle Ideas
Red Goddess Hairstyle
Chunky Side Braid with Red Highlight
Colorful Wrap Around Goddess Braid Crown
3 Goddess Braids Hairstyle
Red Goddess Braids with Curls
Golden Wrap Up Goddess Braid Updo
Purple 2 Goddess Braids
Fuchsia Classic Goddess Braid Updo
How To Make Your Goddess Braids Last
Now that your braids are in place, it’s time to think about some ways to keep them looking gorgeous as long as possible. Many different goddess braids hairstyles can last for six to eight weeks, and there are a couple things you can do to help them last.
First and foremost, if you’re rocking goddess braids in a bun or ponytail, you may want to consider letting the updo down at night and wrapping your head in a silk scarf. This will prevent breakage and unsightly fly-away hair. Keeping your hair strong will also help, so use a light oil sheen like the Better Braids Hair and Scalp Oil every two or three days, too. If you take care of your braids, you can have up to 12 weeks of a gorgeous goddess braids updo.